Food for thought: Stuart Gibbs Fans- Why do you want to know more about upcoming books?

Honestly, I was trying to figure out what type of book review I should post when a thought came to mind, and now I'm free-writing this, no rough drafts or anything. This is to all Stuart Gibbs fans (or any fans of books in general, but I've been seeing this mainly on Stuart Gibb's blog&website). My question to you is: Why do you want to know more about upcoming books? Now I will admit, sometimes I get giddy asking questions about Big Game, Spaced Out, and even Spy School #4, but I want to know exactly why you want to know more about his upcoming books.

"Because I want to know info before everyone else!"

This is true, but the problem is, do you really? Sure it'd be cool to know that Ben & Erica are going out, or Teddy finally earns the trust of Summer, or that Ben is the cool kid at spy school before everyone else. I see many flaws in this however (yes, I'm being hypocritical, but after this post I will stop asking Stuart for answers on his upcoming books) Which is more fun? Waiting a few months, building up a bunch of suspense, and then reading an intense, exciting novel to learn something shocking, or having someone tell you what happens, and reading it is boring? It's almost as if right before a movie you've been waiting to see comes out, the movie producer suddenly says "The hero dies!" and ruins everything. Plus, people will see your comments on his blog, and will know all this info minutes after you do, and is spoiling an awesome book you've been waiting months to read all worth to get insider info. a few minutes before the general public?

"What if I e-mail him/her?"

That is true, but you see, you still are being spoiled. What's the point of books in general, and author's writing them, if you know what happens? Why would anybody buy a book in which they already know the plot, the climax, and the shocking new info?

"I just need to clarify one thing! That's it!"

Yes, sometimes people will shut up if they get to know just one thing, but again is it worth it? If  you know something important about Big Game, Spaced Out, or Spy School #4, would you still buy the book?

"Yeah, I will. Of course!"

Ok, sometimes people still buy the book, but I don't get why. Would you buy Spy School even if you already read it 10 times?

"I collect books!"

Irrelevant.

"Well, I'm sure there's still enough action to make it exciting"

Ok, let's pretend that you love the Spy School series and you get ready to buy Spy School #4. But before you hand over 10 bucks, the B&N cashier explains to you that Ben & Erica finally become a couple (this is because B&N gets the shipment of books before they're released to the public, and he happened to already have read it). You say thanks, hand over the money, and go home to read it. Now you're reading it. Ben and Erica are in the mountains, fighting off SPYDER. "Wow" you say, that blogger dude is totally wrong, this is awesome" But here's the problem. Most of the time, all the action is leading up to the climax, or a semi-climax, meaning all that action is somehow linked to the part you know. Is it exciting to see Erica for some reason give Ben the hug she promised him at Spy School, if you know that ten chapters down the line, they're for sure going to become a couple. In my belief, I think It'd rather have all the action take place without any end surprises given away.

"Man, now you've ruined my dreams. Thanks a lot"

I'm not saying you have to stop asking questions, I'm just saying that you should think before you ask. Do I really need to know this? Even if I do, will I still buy a book? Will I like it as much as I would if I hadn't known the answer to this question? This is important stuff. Avid readers out there, please, don't just ask away. Think. I'm begging you.



Comments

  1. Hi! Im ariana and i agree. We should not ask stuff to stu. It ruins the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ariana! Since the comment finally came through, I've added you to the CC (Comment Club)! You've joined an elite crew that includes authors Erin Fry (Losing It) and Stuart Gibbs (every awesome MG book ever) If you like the blog, please help me spread the word, I can only do so much as a kid.

    -Justin

    P.S. I'm going to give you a shoutout. When do you want it? You can choose from my next book review, Update post, How-to Post, or Top Ten Post. When I put a review of the book you recommended, I'll give you a shoutout, so here's your chance for two.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post