Tirade Tuesday #2: Cliffhangers- The only thing that's horrible about books

Ok forget what I said last week about the whole Q & A thing. For this rant, it's just going to be one paragraph of anger. Because I don't think there's anybody in the world that actually likes and enjoys cliffhangers. Anyways, share your anger with me, comment below and enjoy.

Cliffhangers are the worst. I mean you're like "Oh my god, this is going to be the greatest" and then you start thinking "Huh, this book is getting short real quick" And then about ten minutes later "WHY AM I DONE WITH THE BOOK IVE WAITED A YEAR FOR" Usually if there's a romance that carries through the book, the author will tease you and put in a romantic scene but not have them date or if it's an action scene you'll be right at the major fight and then the hero gets hurt but he's all dead and the author is all like "Did you like it? Well be sure to get the next book in the (insert name) series coming next fall) and you're all like "WHY?!?" And most authors have a big reason for cliffhangers: it makes the book exciting and it makes people want to read more. While that's good to get more readers interested in their books you have to make some sort of compromise. I mean if one book is going to end on a cliffhanger, make the second book solve that secret and start a new cliffhanger. But don't ride the same cliffhanger for three books. For example in Spy Camp (second book in the Spy School series by Stuart Gibbs) there was a huge cliffhanger where Ben helped carry Erica back to safety. It was a romantic scene but all us reader just want to know: does Erica like Ben back. We can kind of anticipate it's going to happen soon but the cliffhanger is ridden every single Spy School book. Now, before all you people are all like "but don't you love Stuart Gibbs" let me say two things. One- there are much worse cliffhangers in other books (e. g. Percy Jackson series) and two he is writing in scenes that show the relationship between Erica and Ben and how they're starting to grow close to each other. But seriously authors- if you want to write something that makes us go "WHY?!? *starts to cry*" then in the next book finish it and move on. Overall, Cliffhangers are basically a necessary evil (like *gulp* school) but don't make it a bad thing. Make it an exciting thing. Make your cliffhangers tense but somewhat revealing. Just think for a second before you write in the scene that will make everyone cry in despair.

Did you like it? Well thank Book Club member Sophia for the idea of a Rant on cliffhangers (which I thought was a great idea :D) Seriously, if you want me to do a post on anything, leave a post or email me. Have a swawesome day!

Comments

  1. Are you kidding Justin? Cliffhangers are the best! The only thing that I don't like about a cliffhanger is that if it's at the end of the series. That is the main reason why in the Heroes of Olympus series, I thought the last book, Blood Of Olympus, was the worst, since they leave one of the main characters stranded in the middle of nowhere with his girlfriend. But overall, I think all books should have cliffhangers, unless it's the last book of the series. I also didn't like "The Giver" very much because the second book was about a completely different character, and it left me on a cliffhanger. I let go of that cliff though(if you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting opinion Joseph. Well I mean you're entitled to your opinion. I just think it's a waste that after you've waited so long, you're going to have to wait more and more and more. Which I guess is why we read books but sometimes I'm just like "PLEASE TELL ME". Oh well, your opinion is all yours.

      -Justin

      Delete
  2. Are you kidding Justin? Cliffhangers are the best! The only thing that I don't like about a cliffhanger is that if it's at the end of the series. That is the main reason why in the Heroes of Olympus series, I thought the last book, Blood Of Olympus, was the worst, since they leave one of the main characters stranded in the middle of nowhere with his girlfriend. But overall, I think all books should have cliffhangers, unless it's the last book of the series. I also didn't like "The Giver" very much because the second book was about a completely different character, and it left me on a cliffhanger. I let go of that cliff though(if you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya about Cliffhangers, but what I think what is the worst, is that, the author takes a whole year and yet the reader finishes under a week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post