Pi In the Sky Review

Hi guys! Today I shall be reviewing Pi In The Sky by Wendy Mass. So ladies and gentlemen, here it is:


Genre: Sci-fi
Age Group: Middle School
Published: June 11, 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers


Summary: Joss is the seventh son of the Supreme Overlord of the Universe (yikes - what a mouthful). So you think he'd do super cool, gravity defying, jaw dropping stuff, right? Wrong. Joss delivers pies. Pies. I mean, well yeah these pies hold the secrets of the universe and such, but they're pies nonetheless. Anyway, Joss lives in this place called The Realms, and life is routine and familiar and usual with it’s everyday pie deliveries and listening to his best friend Kal “play” the drums. Until one day Earth and it's whole solar system disappears, along with his best friend and his parents. Suddenly he faces the impossible task of rebuilding Earth and it’s solar system, which would hopefully bring back Kal and his parents, while also bringing Annika (a human who literally just showed up in the Realms out of nowhere, even though that should have been impossible) back home, and while avoiding the PTB (Powers That Be) of his unusual activities. Can Joss be able to do all of this before time runs out?


What I liked: This book had me at “pie”. Guys, let me ask you this; who doesn’t love pie? Point is, there’s many things to love about this book! The Realms, the pie, the mystery of the universe and it’s secret workings - and of course the beloved bagels with cream cheese and red hots - there’s way too many things to love about this book! But alas, I shall narrow it down to three:
  1. The creativity and science of this book….it’s amazing. Wendy Mass is sure an author with weird and crazy ideas - but that’s what makes this book so wonderful! (Like seriously, bagels with cream cheese and red hots? Who knew of such a thing! Lol.) I learned a lot about the actual universe in this book, while still enjoying a completely fictional story.
  2. Annika’s personality. I have never read the like of such an outspoken and wild character - she’s awesome and funny and it’s really quite the mystery of how she even got to The Realms in the first place. Joss’ personality is fun as well, and their friendship is quite unforgettable.
  3. And of course, The Realms itself. You guys might be asking what The Realms is, exactly….basically it’s dark matter, which is everywhere, but you can’t see it and….yikes, I better just let you people read this book and you’ll find out for yourselves (lol). Really The Realms is a crazy place to live in, and I wouldn’t mind being an immortal, not-exactly-solid resident living there.


What I didn’t like: Yelp. Well, if I must be honest…:
  1. I guess the concept of The Realms and some other things is would be kinda hard to wrap your mind around, so I wouldn’t suggest this book for younger readers since they won’t understand a lot of the science (and the science fiction) in this book.
  2. The book is  a little...rushed, I suppose. I didn’t mind it, but still.


My rating out of five: 4.8 stars people!! I would have given this book 5 out of 5 stars, but as I’ve said, some things talked about in the book are a bit confusing and the storyline is a bit rushed, so sadly 4.8 stars will have to do. I hope you guys check out this wild and awesome book! And until the next time, stay fancy book lovers!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post