Rant: Spoilers

Ahh, the beloved spoiler. Some people love them, a lot of people hate them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to attack, insult, etc. anyone specific, but especially with the Stuart Gibbs forums, oh man it's gotten bad. If you haven't for some peculiar reason gotten and read Spy Ski School, I'd suggest for the first time to NOT go on Stuart Gibbs's blog. I mean, some people think that it's OK to give away the amazing spoiler that ______ _______ ______!!! (Obviously I wouldn't give it away here). So, with that said, here is a rant on spoilers.

OK, there's a reason why your friend starts punching you insanely hard when you spoil the end of a movie or book that they're are consuming. It's not fun bro. Who thinks that it's good to just shout out the ending. This is one of those times when you need to think how you would react if someone did that to you. Of course, by the time you're doing that, you're mid-sentence and can't stop.

Why are spoilers even a thing anyways? Why can't there be some system set up where once a book is out, you literally can not type the book title into any website except for a search engine to buy it. This would drastically improve spoiling a book. That way, whether you get the book the day it's released, or a month later, it is still equally as enjoyable for everyone.

But why are you bringing up this topic now? Actually, I'm not. I addressed this topic a few months ago in a similar blog post (search up "Food for thought" in the search box on the right), but I NEED to bring this to light because of the literal pain the website is causing me. Like it really isn't cool to say a spoiler, and then follow it with "LOL :D" (that is not a joke. It's a literal quote) Thanks to some people who are able to control their happiness by saying how good the book is, not by revealing a series changing event.

But it's OK if I say "Spoiler Alert" and then say it right? Ok, how many times do your eyes see "Spoiler Alert" and then you're like "Huh, maybe there's a spoiler and I shouldn't keep reading" I'm sorry but psychologically and how society has worked has caused us to do otherwise. For starters, revers psychology plays a big role in this. Saying "Spoiler Alert" is like saying "Don't Read this". And what do you do when you see a "Don't Read this" sign? That's right you read it. Also, society (mainly YouTube) has wired into our brains that these are just jokes. But sadly, they aren't and at that point it's to late. You're in the corner crying because it just got revealed to you that ________ ________ _______!!!!

But I want to talk about this topic and say how cool it was! Ok, this one is an easy one to attack. Email. The glory's of email. Just email the author. Author's like Stuart Gibbs love to hear from you guys. Of course, you won't spoil the story to him, because HE WROTE the thing. But FYI, you don't have to tell the whole world about this amazing, cool thing in the story. If you do, at least wait a couple of months.

So in the food for thought, I also address asking for information on an upcoming book, which I feel is relevant enough to talk about here. Why is it that we are all asking "What happens to (insert character)" "Does (Insert Character) end up dating (insert character)?" GAH, it makes me angry, mostly because why? Why do you want to know? What's the point of knowing? Does it make you get knowledge about a book you're dying to see early? So what if you get the knowledge early? What does that do to you? In my opinion it would make you feel worse.

Well, there's my rant on SPOILERS. In all honesty, there needs to be a way we can get people to not spoil books! Oh, and I feel like I should add this quick disclaimer thing now: "In no way, shape, or form did this blog post mean to attack, offend, insult, etc. any specific person in any way, shape or form. If this blog post did, please email me and let me know, so I can sincerely apologize. Thank you"

Comments

  1. I get you. But once you know a spoiler, it's hard to not spoil someone else yourself >:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you looking for free Facebook Followers?
    Did you know you can get these AUTOMATICALLY AND ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE by registering on You Like Hits?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post