Operation Yes by Sara Lewis Holmes (MMGM)

Age Group: Middle Grade
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Publishing Date: September 1st 2009 by Arthur A. Levine Books

Summary:  Goodreads ~ Ready? Line UP! FALL IN! And you'll fall for this timely and generous novel set on an Air Force base during the Iraq War, about an amazing teacher and the students she inspires.

No one in her sixth-grade class knows quite what to make of Ms. Loupe, with her short hair, her taped square "stage" on the floor, and the interest in improvisational theatre. After all, their school is on an Air Force base--a place that values discipline more than improv. But her students soon come to love her fresh approach; and when her dear brother goes missing in Afghanistan, and Ms. Loupe herself breaks down, they band together to support their teacher. What starts as a class fundraiser expands into a nationwide effort for all injured troops, and an amazing vision of community and hope.

What I liked:  This book spoke to me in  a very weird and almost indescribable way. I myself am not in a military family, but reading about life on a military base had me think about how hard life is not only for the soldiers who have to leave their family, but their family who has to let their loved one go with no sure way of whether or not they would return. I really loved reading especially about how this one teacher tries to change up school and inspire the students to not think of a chore, but as something really fun. I honestly loved reading this book.

What I didn't like: This book was like reading a narrative essay from the third person point of view. What I mean is, there wasn't a plot that I, a novice reader could detect. It really truly was a recounting of events. There was no build up to this extremely intense scene, it pretty much was what happened in what order. Were said events described in a truly amazing way? Of course, however, don't come into the book expecting a murder military mystery or a type of "normal" plot built story.

Rating: 8 out of ten

Why? Extremely good, but lack of a somewhat easy to notice plot will cut some points.




Comments

  1. I hadn't heard of this one but your review intrigued me to find a copy. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Completely new to me, both the book and the author, but I have a feeling I'll be looking for her other books soon. Thanks for the great heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to review books about military families. This sounds interesting. Too bad the plot isn't strong. Will check it out. (I worked for the USAF doing PR -- I was a civilian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something about the military that intrigues me from a storytelling perspective; I suppose it's because there are a lot of serious questions that need exploring anytime you talk about people who willingly agree to risk their lives for their country. I like the idea of an unconventional teacher on a military base—sounds like a good way to explore some of those questions.

    I really liked Sara Lewis Holmes' other book, Letters From Rapunzel, so I expect I will like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm. Too much narrative. A common problem. Thanks for the reminder to my writing self.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post