KPOP: 6/14/18 DDU-DU DDU-DU by Blackpink 💚

WOOOOOOO BLACKPINK CAME BAAAACKKKKKKKK. Alright so for those future readers, sidenote I was not about to wait until 4AM to listen to their comeback, however I did wake up and the first thing I did was put up the Music Video and I meannnnnn wow it was really pretty good. I currently have not listened to the other songs yet, but if this is the title track, I should be in for an amazing album. I think I'll spend the next few days just raving about this album, so future me will probably call this the week of blackpink or something I dunno. Anyways, here we go.

Instrumental: Alright, so I"m really trying hard to characterize this beat but it's like, Blackpink's concept is that there so unique and different from all the other groups, which really shined here. There was so much going on in this beat, sometimes it feels like the Boombayah vibes when it's all loud and powerful but other times it felt like Playing With Fire where it was just lowkey and chill, like a really good bop. I'm going to be bold and try to categorize it somewhere between Boombayah and As If It's Your Last BEAT wise, like AIIYL is a summery song while Boombayah is something you'd see at a concert. Alright, here comes the break down of the beat. SO I HAVE TO MENTION THIS PART FIRST. The last 30 seconds of this song is basically dance break. like wTF. I'm a dance break fan, of course, and watching live performances of this song will be amazing. But if I put this on a road trip playlist, where I may listen to it multiple times on end, I don't wanna hear 30 seconds of instrumental. I mean, obviously this is my opinion, but like even in Twice's song with What is Love and Likey, the 15 ish seconds of dance break almost got to me. This is borderline insane, but however, this is why we like our queennnss because of their uniqueness in stuff like this. I'm not sure if I'm a HUGE fan of that wobbling, warping repeating thing (you know, that one sound in all the teasers), but it did go REALLY well with the chorus drop and complimented Jennie's parts very well. The rest of the instrrumental pretty much just makes up you know that chill vibe, with the slow tempo and what not, but one part i HAVE to talk about is the "oh yeah oh yeah" part in the chorus. no idea at all who recorded that but that will go into one of my most favorite parts it was AMAZING.

Lyrics: I don't think I have too much to say about the meaning of the lyrics themselves. Like, this song in my opinion felt like Boombayah round 2 and way more mature. The way they sounded and just i dunno it was the whole empowering song but way more.....more I don't even know it was just more something (you'll get the vibe hopefully if you listen to the song a few times). Moving on straight from the lyrics, quickly to talk about the line distribution. So listening to it, it felt like Lisa barely had any lines, and of course, watching a line distribution video i could confirm she had half the number of song time compared to Jennie and Rose. Which honestly, at times I guess it can feel like she isn't the "main" member of blackpink, and I suppose this could've been an effect of having so much time in AIIYL, but I suppose she should've been given more time. Nonetheless, she slayed (as always) but she only really had rap parts. In AIIYL I was very happy she had the whole chorus because she CAN SING. But it's like, they throw too many rap parts on her, which is good because she can rap, but you know I'm tryna hear some more from Lisa and I didn't get it here. What Id id get more from int his song is Jisoo. She KILLED her parts. Jennie in this song had a lot of singing and rap parts, obviously she did amazing, but it goes back to the whole I'm fine with Jennie sharing the rap with Lisa but then give Lisa some singing parts too. Anyways, this leads to Rose, who had a lot of song time, and did really good on her parts. She was also the one who said the "Oh yeah Oh yeah", which I didn't know above and just learned, however I am way too lazy to add it, and yeah she slayed her parts too. Overall, I really like where their voices have transformed, to a more pure sound, and can't wait to listen to the other songs.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Image result for Square Up album cover

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post