Tirade Tuesday #4: To be (real) or not to be (real)

Well, it's that time of the week again. So, I've been noticing that in a lot of books the characters aren't "real". I know you're like "Duh its fiction" But what I mean is they don't act like real human beings, and to me it sucks because it would've ended a different way in the real world (if the real world had dragons, and zombies and was just blown up by nukes or whatever fantasy people read)

Well that's what books are for right? To show you into alternative universes and such?

Ugh, it's you again?

Yes, now answer my question. Isn't that the point of books? To take you into un realistic worlds?

Ok, this is the one argument that everyone says when I complain about this. And OK, I will submit to the fact that in books that are OUTRIGHT unreal (Like Red Queen and Glass Sword: Two of my new favorite books that I'll get signed at NTTBF and will post reviews on). But it's books like Spy School that, while so amazing and swawesome and they make me faint every time I read them, bring me to tears because they're so unrealistic. Like how many kids do you know will have a gun being pointed at them and be like "meh". I don't know about you (but I'm feeling 22 lol ANYWAYS) but if a gun was pointed at me, I'd drop to the floor with my hands up and literally start to cry.

Well...that's just one example, I'm sure most books are pretty realistic right?

No way. There's so much I've encountered, but I'll just name the one's on the top of my head. How does Ashley not just beat the crap out of Ben? Why does she go for Erica, who can clearly fight her. Because we all know, when she beats up Ben, Erica's going to be like "No! Alright I'll freeze. Don't hurt him!" And then boom Nefarious is like "mneh" and SPYDER gets billions. I'm glad that the heroes finally won but to be honest in real life, SPYDER doesn't have agents with the worst aim in the world to miss a kid in plain sight. Also, in Charlie Joe Jackson's guide to Not Reading....who doesn't like reading? (Which i did a rant about last week)

Isn't that just for making the story move along? Like you said, it's kind of lame if SPYDER beat the CIA. It's better for the amazing author to stretch reality so that a good story is told.

Remember, I'm not saying that I don't like unrealistic characteristics. It just kind of bugs me because a lot of books similar to Spy School are written as if they could be portrayed in real life. And yet, it just isn't possible. I don't know, this may be a useless rant but the fact that Authors categorize unrealistic books under "Realistic Fiction" makes me mad.

Good answer, but you didn't answer my question

Ok. Fine. So authors, in light of doing their best to convey a riveting story are making humans in realistic fiction novels do un realistic things. Then categorize it under something else! I don't want to see books that talk about the lame middle school wimp going out with the head cheerleader (*AHEM* Origami Yoda Series Final Book *AHEM*) because even in the school with the least conformity, it isn't happening. If Authors want to take liberties  when writing Fantasy. Sure, go for it. But if you are going to say "this book could happen in real life" at least make sure that it's got a chance, in an alternate universe in a perfect world, to happen.

So that's why i don't like fantasy in a nutshell. I just don't like how unreal everything is. Some fantasy books - Red Queen/ Glass Sword- are great, but in general it just isn't my cup of tea. That's all I have for this week. Next Week, I'm going to go through a whole spiel about SPYDER. I think it'll be great. Have a reading-full day!

Comments

  1. I agree with you, I notice that sometimes though. But gotta love the books anyways!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post