Island of Thieves by Josh Lacey

[Hi, I'm Mackensie. Another one of the 7 billion people on planet Earth...]

Genre: Adventure (in realistic fiction)
Age group: MG
Publishing date: July 7th, 2011 by Andersen

quote:
"Only boring people get bored, says Dad. Interesting people can always find something to be interested in."

Summary:
Tom Trelawney's parents are going on vacation. Tom was going to stay with his friend, but after the garden shed incident they won't take him, so he gets stuck with Uncle Harvey. However, his uncle says that he has to go to Peru on urgent business, and so goodbye, have a nice weekend. Tom wants to go to Peru too, so he pleads his way into going with his uncle. Once he gets to Peru, however, he finds out that his uncle is on a treasure hunt. But there is someone very powerful after him too...

What I liked:
This book's plot was different than other MG books I have read recently. It was a treasure hunt, but in Peru, which made it more interesting. I've always liked Peru for some reason. There are car chases, boat rides, and steep cliffs. This was full of adventure and surprise. It also brought up government corruption as an issue, which was interesting to see in a non-dystopian book (for me).
This book also had a historical event tied to it, which made it more interesting, because it related to history. Normally in books that include an author's note at the end I don't read the author's note, but in this book I did.

What I didn't like:
I guess the plot might not have been that realistic, but it's still realistic fiction. That was the only problem I had with that book. There was some blood and people never being seen again, but that wasn't featured in the book.

Rating: 7.6/10

Why?:
I don't read a lot of MG novels these days, and this one was better than average. It interested me and kept me reading it.


Justin's Note: I've also read this book, and it's REALLY interesting. Like seriously, 9/10 material. Go read it!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post