KPOP: 8/8/18 With You by Red Velvet 💚

Slowing down the post rate as I ease into the school year. Eventually, starting next week, I'm gonna switch to three posts a week just to help accommodate my busy schedule. Anyways here's a quick review of With You by Red Velvet.

Alright so a little bit of overall before I dive into the lyrics. This is a slower song than Power Up, but in my opinion it didn't really have the bop feel to it. Like it was almost a bop but it didn't quite hit the right spots. Also there's that classic Red Velvet effect of the electronic autotune voice (like you know the voice in Red Flavor that says red-red velvet; that voice). Also, just to mention, there's a lot of like not xylophone but electronic drum/bongo notes in the back that give it that tropical feel, which I thought was a nice touch.

Getting into the lyrics. What I love about the first part of the song is that it gets right to the chorus. No need for a major buildup, especially in a background track. Like just get to the good stuff. Obviously everyone killed their vocals in the first verse (as in nothing to complain about).

About the chorus. Man is it catchy. The "when I'm with you" repeated has such a good swingy type vibe that it really just gets stuck in your head. Sung well, catchy rhythm, equation for success. There also seems to be a reoccurring theme of this Christmas in July when I'm with you. Like it talks about when I'm with you it's like Christmas or getting gifts. Nothing bad would just like to point that out.

The middle of the song has nothing spectacular but it was just good. Like the rap I thought was well structured and all, and seulgi's part at the end really ended it on a good note. And the second verse after the second chorus was fine, nothing to complain about. Vocals, pitch, all that technical blabber was good.

The ending was kinda weird though. Like the whole song completely takes a turn, kinda like in Forever Young, when Lisa's part comes. There's this "oh oh oh oh oh" part and a "with you with you" part that I feel like didn't need to happen. Me personally I would've preferred just an ending chorus. Then again I also kinda prefer an ending chorus in Forever Young, but like with both songs, just because it isn't the way I like it doesn't mean it's not good. At the end of the day, it caps off an amazing song.

Rating 3.8 out of 5

Image result for Red Velvet Power Up

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post