No Talking by Andrew Clements

Genre: Realistic, School Fiction
Age Group: Middle Grade (8-12)
Publishing Date: June 27th 2007 by Atheneum Books

Summary: Goodreads: ""You have the right to remain silent." However... 

The fifth-grade girls and the fifth-grade boys at Laketon Elementary don't get along very well. But the real problem is that these kids are loud and disorderly. That's why the principal uses her red plastic bullhorn. A lot. 

Then one day Dave Packer, a certified loudmouth, bumps into an idea -- a big one that makes him try to keep quiet for a whole day. But what does Dave hear during lunch? A girl, Lynsey Burgess, jabbering away. So Dave breaks his silence and lobs an insult. And those words spark a contest: Which team can say the fewest words during two whole days? And it's the boys against the girls. 

How do the teachers react to the silence? What happens when the principal feels she's losing control? And will Dave and Lynsey plunge the whole school into chaos? 

This funny and surprising book is about language and thought, about words unspoken, words spoken in anger, and especially about the power of words spoken in kindness...with or without a bullhorn. It's Andrew Clements at his best -- thought-provoking, true-to-life, and very entertaining"


What I Liked: I've read this book a thousand times and it's a book where it simply doesn't get old. The Harry Potter fan will say books like Harry Potter never get old, but we all know that eventually, it's boring. But for some reason No Talking has always been my go to book whenever I'm at the library, even though I literally know exactly how it is going to play out. No Talking is a fast-paced book, and it's a battle-of-the-sexes which results in pure hilariousness. I've always loved Clements work, and this is the poster child of my argument.

What I didn't Like: If I will say something, this book is by no means for the literary genius who earns to read books like To Kill a Mockingbird or The Great Gatsby every hour. This books was targeted for the eight, nine, and ten year old kids who want a fun book to read. I'm not sure why a fourteen-year old freshman like me decides to feature books like this, but I feel like they're worth talking about. 

Rating: 8.6 out of ten.

Why? I mean, it's a classic, but it does have it's flaws, some of which the fact that it's not a very long book, which means that at times I wanted a little more description. 

Post-Scriptness:

Alright so two things I wanted to mention
  1. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to mention what MMGM but I never knew I was supposed to. Anyways, for those who don't know, MMGM is a weekly monday blog post by Shannon Messenger (author of Keeper of the Lost Cities and more) where she highlights blog reviews from myself and other fabulous bloggers. Go to her website every Monday (shannonmessenger.com) if you want to read more about amazing MG books.
  2. Stay tuned to this blog. A rant is coming up. It's going to be great. Also for those of you who want JTWBU #8, it will be on here tomorrow. Still working out the video thing.

Comments

  1. I have always enjoyed this book. It's a great one to read aloud for teachers or for parents to read with their kids. Thanks for keeping this one out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I know exactly what you mean about 'No Talking' never getting old. (Unfortunately, after read HP a couple hundred times-those plot twists just don't shock you like they used too :/)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post