KPOP: 8/24/18 "Idol" by BTS 💚

They're backkkkkkk and boy did they live up to the hype of the new album. Like actually though, 26 songs is insane. Sure there are some repeats in there but more than half of it is new content (I think, a real count has not been done yet). Am I the biggest fan of BTS? Not really. But it's hard not to like their new song "Idol".

Alright so I want to start off talking about the instrumental. Now call me crazy for looking so deep into this, but I just like how the aspects of the instrumental just make it so unique. Like there's whistles, animals, a funky electronic beat, like this isn't the BTS we are used to hearing. But in my opinion I think it was done on purpose, to sort of set the scene for the song if you will. A reading of the english captions has led me to believe that the message of the song is that, well in the words of Jimin "you can't stop me from loving myself". I dunno I just thought that was cool.

Into to the song, I like how RM, their basically spokesperson for international army, leads of the song. Like obviously maybe it was because he had the best English, but he just opens the song so powerful. And like with all the chaos in the instrumental going on, RM's voice just stands out in such a powerful way. And let me point out, the opening verse isn't really "singing" it's just them kinda preaching with instrumental in the background. Me from the basic kpop listener standpoint, I can see that it doesn't really make sense, especially compared to the rest of BTS, but hey this song is about standing out, so I get it.

The buildup to the chorus is really awesome actually. It has this cool meter to it (like when Jimin Says "I do, what I do" idk it just is really pleasing to my ears) that I liked. And HOLY CRAP THE CHORUS IS AN ACTUAL PARTY. like if you don't jam out to the chorus BTS is not for you. Man the instrumental goes crazy, there's just a lot of "OHOHOHOH" and everyone is well...going crazy. There's a lot of "you can't stop me from loving myself" from Jimin, which almost makes this like a celebration of loving yourself, which was awesome. Put this chorus in the top ten all time.

The second verse is kinda like this massive rap section that honestly I can't wait to see a live performance of. Like a feel like just listening to it doesn't do its justice. Like lyrics are just coming at you so fast, and while there isn't a lot of English, reading the captions is awesome. Like there's some silly stuff but some real talk in there, and yeah second verse is super cool.

And bruh they literally out of no where go from rap back to that super calm chorus. Then the buildup, party chorus and what have you. The bridge is also really cool it's like they're trying to throw some real talk at you, about how you can do what you wanna do and be what you wanna be, and then such a smooth buildup to a MASSIVE chorus drop. I liked the bridge personally, it provided a good break so I can get hyped up for the chorus again.

All in all THIS is how you end a year long album series. If you want to ever talk about ending things with a bang, this album is how you do it. However, I think the rating is more of me trying to counter any bias I have toward BTS and its fanbase, so do take it with a grain of salt as understand this was an AMAZING song. But I have no massive BTS bias, so the rating is what it is.

Rating: 4.4 out of 5 ðŸ’š

Image result for bts love yourself answer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview! Starring Gordon Korman!

Spy Ski School by Stuart Gibbs

Request Post